Pilgrimage of children
Committed to make children aware of the Message of Fatima and get them acquainted with the life and spirituality of the Blessed Francisco and Jacinta Marto, the Shrine of Fatima organizes annually the children pilgrimage, on June 9 to 10. Particularly made for catechesis groups, this pilgrimage has a different theme each year, which serves for reflexion and celebration.
1. Children pilgrimage preparation campaign
The children pilgrimage is preceded by a campaign, initiated in April. By then, the Shrine grants pastoral supports to the parishes who show interest – pilgrimage program fold-out, poster, Month of May Campaign and pilgrimage hymn flyer -, so that during the month of May, the pilgrimage can be adequately prepared.
2. Pilgrimage program
The pilgrimage begins on the night of the 9th of June, with a celebrative moment.
On the morning of the 10th, a staging referring the theme of the pilgrimage is performed in the Basilica of the Most Holy Trinity. At 10:00 a.m., it is followed by the Rosary, in the Chapel of the Apparitions, and at 11:00 a.m., the mass in the Prayer Area.
The staging is held one more time in the afternoon, followed by the farewell celebration at 4:00 p.m.
There are reserved seats for the registered children groups and, at the end, the Shrine offers them a surprise!
Given the traffic volume in Fatima on the morning of the 10th, and the consequent difficulty for the groups to arrive on time, it is suggested an early arrival. The Shrine offers, though precarious, accommodation to groups that require so, depending on availability and providing that a previous request is made. Groups that arrive on the previous day in need of accommodation, can contact the Shrine, indicating the number of children (specifying the numbers of boys and girls) and adults (one for each group of 8 to 10 children), through the postal address: a/c SEAL, Santuário de Fátima, Apartado 31, 2495-908 FÁTIMA; or by email: [email protected].
Children pilgrimage’s secretariat is located in the Information Office nº 2, located next to the stairs of the north entrance of the Prayer Area.
5. Recommendation for children
- It is convenient for children to wear a cap to protect them from the sun. There will be caps available for sale in the religious articles gift shops of the Shrine from April. From the 6th to the 10th of June, the caps will also be available at the pilgrimage secretariat.
- Lost children will be upheld at the Information Office next to the Chapel of the Apparitions. All children must bring their identification and the contacts of the person in charge of them.
- Before entering the Prayer Area, people in charge of the groups must advise the children to eat, drink and use the bathroom so that they can be well during the celebrations.
6. Medical assistance
Medical assistance is provided in the Shrine First Aid Unit, behind the Large Holm Oak.
7. Prayer Area Entrance
In the Prayer Area, the lanes of entrance for the areas reserved for the children open at 10:00 a.m. From 10:45 a.m. the entrance is made by the side areas. It is requested to the people in charge of the groups, collaboration, in order to maintain a silent attitude in the Shrine.