search clock-o download play play-circle-o volume-up image map-marker plus twitter facebook rss envelope linkedin close exclamation-triangle home bars angle-left angle-right share-alt clock-o arrow-up arrow-down2 folder folder-folder-plus folder-open calendar-o angle-down eye

OFFICIAL WEBPAGE

Shrine of Fatima

Live transmission

Places of formation and pastoral

Places of formation and pastoral
 

Centro Pastoral de Paulo VI.jpg


Pastoral Centre of Paul VI

The Pastoral Centre of Paul VI owes its name to the first pope who came as pilgrim of Fatima, in May 1967. It is located on the western edge of the Shrine of Fatima, beyond the avenue D. José Alves Correia da Silva.

The inaugural stone was blessed on May 13, 1979, by the Cardinal Franjo Seper, then Prefect of the Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, and was inaugurated by John Paul II on May 13, 1982.

The Centre, a project conceived by José Carlos Loureiro, has 4 levels and an area of 1, 4 hectares. It has a large amphitheater with 2124 seats, meeting rooms, a chapel, a dormitory and self-service cafeteria.

The Center was enriched with several works of art: "Little Shepherdess", conceived by José Rodrigues; "Risen Christ", by Lagoa Henriques; "Mother of the Good Shepherd", by Graça Costa Cabral; "Crucified Christ", by Maria Irene Vilar; a stain-glass window representing the Good Shepherd by Júlio Resende; and outside a sculpture of Our Lady, by Domingos Soares Branco.


 

Casa Carmo.jpg


Retreat House of Our Lady of Mount Carmel

The Retreat House of Our Lady of Mount Carmel is located on the southern side of the Prayer Area, following the Colonnade. Its mission is mostly to receive groups for retreats, formation, and other pastoral activities, as well as the accommodation of its participants. In the contiguous building, facing the Prayer Area, one can find almost all the departments of the Shrine: the Rectory; the Administration Office (SEAD); the Pilgrim Department (SEPE); the Lodging Department (SEAL); the Research and Information Department (SESDI); the Liturgical Pastoral Department (SEPALI) and the Museum of the Shrine with its permanent exhibition – “Fatima Light and Peace” – opened to the public from August 2002.  This building was inaugurated on May 13, 1986, by Mgr. António Ribeiro, cardinal and patriarch of Lisbon. In the entrance hall, there is a sculpture of Our Lady, dating back to 1931, made by António Teixeira Lopes.

In its origin, this house was called as Hospital of Our Lady of Mount Carmel.


 

Casa Dores.jpg


Retreat House of Our Lady of Sorrows

The Retreat House of Our Lady of Sorrows, located on the northern side of the Prayer Area, following the Colonnade, receives retreats, meetings, formation or other pastoral activities, as well as the accommodation of its participants. The First Emergency Aid is located in this same building. 

Called in its origin as Shelter of the Sick, the construction of this house started in 1926.