Measures for the 12 and 13 October 2020 pilgrimage
Due to the current epidemiological situation, the Shrine of Fatima, following the guidance of health authorities, is compelled to limit the number of participants in the celebrations of the International Anniversary Pilgrimage of 12 and 13 October. We shall proceed according to the following:
- Pilgrims who have symptoms of COVID-19 should not attend the Pilgrimage. If you have any symptoms call health line SNS 24 (808 24 24 24).
- Alcohol-based hand sanitisers will be available at several locations. Nevertheless, pilgrims are encouraged to carry their own hand sanitisers.
- Wearing a mask will be necessary during celebrations, including in the open space of the Prayer Area.
- There are eight entrances to the Prayer Area; in each entrance there will be Shrine welcomers providing all necessary information.
- The entry of pilgrims takes place in order of arrival; pilgrims will be led to the standing areas, signalled with floor markings.
- At circular standing areas, designed to respect social distance, only a limited number of cohabitants are allowed, following the welcomers' guidance.
- Walking around is not allowed at the Prayer Area; pilgrims must remain in the standing areas until they leave the Prayer Area.
- Passageways at the Prayer Area must always be clear so that pilgrims can easily move.
- Movement of people at the Prayer Area is only allowed on the marked passageways and should be kept to the minimum necessary, maintaining the minimum physical distancing of 2 meters.
- During the pilgrimage celebrations, the fire pit will be closed and it will not be possible to visit the Little Chapel.
- On the 12th, for the Candlelight Procession, each pilgrim may collect his candle at the entrance of the Prayer Area and place it at the end of the ceremony at the spots provided for that purpose.
- For the Communion, ministers will go to the places where pilgrims are, allowing pilgrims to remain in their places. Holy Communion is only given in the hand.
- Inside the controlled perimeter there are toilets in order to restrict entrance and exit movements to and from the Area.
- Exiting the Area will be made respecting the welcomers' guidance, in order to avoid gatherings.
The measures referred to in this document shall also be in place on 11 October.